Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered outside the gate. Therefore, let us go forth to him outside the camp, bearing his reproach. For we have no continuing city here, but we seek one to come.
Select a book to read:Complete Translation
¶1. The burden of Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum the Elkoshite.
2. God is jealous, and the Lord takes vengeance. The Lord avenges and is the Baal of wrath. The Lord takes vengeance on his adversaries and reserves it for His enemies.
3. The Lord is slow to anger but great in power, and He will never acquit the wicked. His way is in the whirlwind and the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
4. Rebuking the sea, He made it dry, and He dried up all the rivers. Bashan and Carmel withered, and the blossom of Lebanon languished.
5. Because of Him, mountains quake and the hills melt away. The earth heaves at His presence, both the world and all its inhabitants.
6. Who can stand before His indignation? Who can withstand the fury of His anger? His wrath is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by Him.
7. The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble, and He knows those who take refuge in Him,
8.but with an overflowing flood will He utterly destroy her place, and darkness shall pursue His enemies.
9. What will you devise against the Lord? He will make an utter end. Trouble will not rise up a second time.
10. For entwined like briars and drunk like drunkards, they will be completely consumed like dry stubble.
11. From you will come one who plots evil against the Lord, a wicked counsellor.
¶12. Thus says the Lord, “Though powerful and very many, they will still be cut off and pass away. Though I have afflicted you, I will humble you no more.
13.And I will then break off his yoke from you, and I will break off your bonds.”
14. Moreover, the Lord has commanded concerning you, “Your name will no longer be sown. I will cut off the graven and molten image from the house of your gods. I will make your grave, for you are despised.”
¶15. Behold! Upon the mountains the feet of the one bringing good news, proclaiming peace. Keep your feast, Judah! Fulfill your vows! For never again will the destroyer pass through you. He has been utterly cut off.
1. The scatterer has come up against you. Guard the fortress! Watch the road closely! Strengthen your loins! Fortify your strength mightily!
2. For the Lord is restoring majesty to Jacob like the majesty of Israel, though the plunderers plundered them and spoiled their branches.
3. The shield of his mighty ones are dyed red. The valiant men, clad in scarlet, come with flashing iron chariots in the day He has prepared. Yea, the cypress shafts are brandished.
4. The chariots rage in the streets; they rush back and forth in the broad places. Their appearance is like torches. They dart about like lightning.
5. He will remember its nobles. They will stumble in their going. They will hurry her wall, and a defense will be prepared.
6. The gates of the rivers were opened, and the palace was melted away.
7. It is determined. She is stripped; she is carried away, and her maidservants lament like the sound of doves, beating on their breasts.
8. Though Nineveh was like a pool of water throughout her days, now they are fleeing. “Stop! Stop!” But no one turns back.
9. Plunder the silver! Plunder the gold! There is no end to the stores; there is an abundance of every precious thing.
10. Desolation, and emptiness, and devastation! The heart melts, knees buckle, searing pain is in all loins, and their faces have all turned ashen.
11. Where is the lions’ den and the pasture for the young lions, where the lion and lioness and the young lion walked? Nothing made them afraid.
12. The lion tears enough for his cubs and strangles for his lionesses, and he fills his caves with prey and his dens with torn flesh.
13. “Behold, I am against you, says the Lord of hosts, and I will burn her chariots in smoke, and a sword will devour your young lions. I will cut off your prey from the earth, and the voice of your angels will no longer be heard.”
¶1. Woe to the bloody city! She is filled with lying and robbery — endless prey!
2. The sound of a whip, and the noise of rumbling wheels, and the galloping of horse, and the bounding of chariot,
3.mounted horseman, and flashing sword, and glittering spear, and a multitude of slain, a mass of corpses. There is no end of dead bodies; they will stumble over their corpses,
4.all because of the multitude of whoredoms of the harlot, the beautiful, well-favored mistress of sorceries, who sells nations with her whoredoms and families with her sorceries.
5. “Behold, I am against you, says the Lord of hosts, and I will remove your robes from your body and expose your nakedness to the nations and your shame to the kingdoms.
6.I will cast abominations upon you! I will disgrace you and make you a spectacle!
7.It shall come to pass that everyone who sees you will flee from you, saying, ‘Nineveh is devastated!’ Who will weep for her? Where will I find comforters for you?
8.Are you better than No-Amon, who was situated with the Nile waters surrounding her, whose rampart was the sea, her protective wall, water?
9.Ethiopia and Egypt have been her might, and it was limitless; Put and Lybia have been your helpers.
10.Yet, she became an exile; she went into captivity. Her children were dashed to pieces at the head of all the streets, and they cast lots for her nobles, and all her mighty men were bound in fetters.
11.You will also be drunk; you will hide yourself; you will seek protection from the enemy.
12.All your strongholds are fig trees with ripe fruits; when they are shaken, they will fall into the mouth of the eater.
13.Behold, your people in your midst are women. The gates of your land are opened to your enemies. Fire consumes the bars of your city gates.
14.Draw water for yourself for the siege! Strengthen your fortresses! Go to the mire and tread the mortar! Make the brick firm!
15.There will the fire devour you. A sword will cut you off. It will devour you like the devouring locust. Multiply yourself like the devouring locust! Multiply yourself like the young locust!
16.You have made your merchants more numerous than the stars of heaven. The devouring locust raids and flies away.
17.Your princes are like the young locust, and your marshals are like a swarm of locust that settles on stone walls on a cold day; the sun rises, and it flees away, and the place where they are is unknown.
18.Your shepherds slumber, O King of Assyria. Your nobles sleep. Your people are scattered on the mountains, and they do not gather together.
19.There is no help for your affliction; your wound is incurable. All that hear your report clap the hands over you, for over whom has not your wickedness continually passed?”