Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered outside the gate. Therefore, let us go forth to him outside the camp, bearing his reproach. For we have no continuing city here, but we seek one to come.
Select a book to read:
¶1. That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we beheld, and our hands touched: the Word of life.
2. And the life was revealed, and we saw it, and we are bearing witness and showing you the eternal life which was with the Father and was revealed to us.
3. That which we have seen and heard we are showing you, so that you may also have fellowship with us, and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ,
4.and we are writing these things to you so that our joy might be full.
¶5. And this is the message that we have heard from him and are passing on to you, that God is light, and in Him, there is no darkness at all.
6. If we say that we have fellowship with Him while we walk in darkness, we are lying and are not living out the truth,
7.but if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8. If we say that we do not have sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
¶1. My children, I am writing these things to you so that you do not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2.and he is the propitiation for our sins, not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3. And by this, we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.
4. He who says, “I know him”, and yet does not keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him,
5.but whoever keeps his word, the love of God truly is perfected in him. By this, we know that we are in him:
6.he who claims to dwell in him ought himself to walk just as he walked.
7. Brothers, I am writing no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the message which you heard from the beginning.
8. Again, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in him and in you, for the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
9. He who claims to be in the light, and yet hates his brother, is still in darkness.
10. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no stumbling-block in him.
11. He who hates his brother is in the darkness, and he is walking in darkness, and he does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
¶12. I am writing to you, children, because your sins are forgiven for his name’s sake.
13. I am writing to you, fathers, because you have known him from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the Evil One. I am writing to you, little children, because you have come to know the Father.
14. I write to you, fathers, because you have known him from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the Evil One.
15. Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16. For all that is in the world — the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life — is not of the Father but is of the world.
17. And the world is passing away, and its lust, but he who does the will of God abides forever.
¶18. Little children, it is the last hour, and just as you have heard that the anti-Christ is coming, even now many have become anti-Christs, by which we know that it is the last hour.
19. They went out from us, but they were not of us, for if they were of us, they would have remained with us. But they went out, so that they might be manifested that they all are not of us.
20. But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things.
21. I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it and you know that no lie is of the truth.
22. Who is a liar, except the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is the anti-Christ, who denies the Father and the Son.
23. Everyone who denies the Son does not have the Father. He who confesses the Son has the Father also.
24. As for you, let what you have heard from the beginning continue in you. If what you have heard from the beginning continues in you, then you will continue in the Son as well as in the Father.
25. And this is the promise that he himself promised us: eternal life.
26. I write you these things concerning those who are leading you astray.
27. But as for you, the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and so, you have no need for anyone to teach you, but as the same anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is not a lie, just as it has taught you, you will continue in it.
28. And now, children, continue in him, so that when he appears, we might have confidence and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
29. If you know that he is righteous, you know that every one who is doing righteousness has been born of him.
¶1. Behold, what great love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! The reason the world does not know you is that it did not know Him.
2. Beloved, we are now children of God, but what we shall be is not yet made manifest. But we know that when it is made manifest, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
3. And everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
4. Everyone who practices sin is also practicing lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.
5. And you know that he was made manifest so that he might take away our sins, and sin is not in him.
6. Everyone who abides in him does not sin; everyone who sins has neither seen him nor known him.
7. Children, do not let anyone deceive you; he who does righteousness is righteous, just as he is righteous.
8. He who practices sin is of the Accuser, for the Accuser has been sinning from the beginning. For this reason was the Son of God revealed, to destroy the works of the Accuser.
9. Everyone born of God does not practice sin, for His seed abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God.
10. By this, the children of God and the children of the Accuser are distinguished: everyone who is not doing righteousness is not of God, as well as the one who does not love his brother.
11. For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another,
12.not as Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his deeds were evil, and those of his brother, righteous.
¶13. Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you.
14. We know that we have passed from death into life because we love the brothers. He who does not love his brother remains in death.
15. Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has everlasting life abiding in him.
16. By this, we have come to know love, in that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.
17. Whoever has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart to him, how does the love of God abide in him?
18. My children, let us not love in word or with the tongue, but in deed and in truth.
19. And by this, we know that we are of the truth, and we will assure our hearts before Him,
20.for if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and He understands everything.
21. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God,
22.and whatever we ask, we receive from Him because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.
23. And this is His commandment, that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as He commanded.
24. And he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this, we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit that He gave us.
¶1. Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2. By this, the Spirit of God is known: every spirit that confesses Jesus Christ when he has come into a person is of God,
3.and every spirit that does not confess Jesus Christ when he has come into a person is not of God. And this is the spirit of the anti-Christ, which you have heard is coming, and now, already, it is in the world.
4. You are of God, children, and you have overcome them because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
5. They are of the world; therefore, they speak of the world, and the world listens to them.
6. We are of God. He who knows God listens to us; he who is not of God does not listen to us. By this, we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
¶7. Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God, and everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
8. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
9. By this was the love of God made manifest among us, that God sent His only-begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as propitiation for our sins.
11. Beloved, if God loved us like this, we also should love one another.
12. No one has ever seen God. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.
13. By this, we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.
14. And we have seen and bear witness that the Father sent the Son to be Savior of the world.
15. Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him and he in God.
16. And we have known and have believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
17. By this, love has been perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the Day of Judgment, because as He is, so are we in this world.
18. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, for fear has to do with punishment, and he who fears has not been perfected in love.
19. We love Him because He first loved us.
20. If anyone says, “I love God,” and yet, hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?
21. And we have this commandment from Him, that he who loves God should also love his brother.
¶1. Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot loves also the one begotten of Him.
2. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments.
3. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments, and His commandments are not burdensome.
4. For everything that has been brought forth by God overcomes the world, and this is the victory that overcomes the world — our faith.
5. Who is it who overcomes the world except he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
6. This is he who came through water and blood — Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And the Spirit is the witness because the Spirit is truth.
7. For there are three that bear witness,
8.the Spirit, and the water, and the blood, and these three agree.
9. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater, for this is the witness of God that He has given concerning His Son.
10. He who believes in the Son of God has the witness within him; he who does not believe God has made Him out to be a liar because he has not believed in the witness that God has given concerning His Son.
11. And this is the witness, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
¶13. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you might know that you have eternal life, and that you might believe on the name of the Son of God.
14. And this is the confidence that we have toward Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us;
15.and if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have made of Him.
16. If anyone sees his brother committing a sin that does not call for death, he shall ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sins that do not call for death. There is a sin that calls for death; I do not say that he should pray for that.
17. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin that does not call for death.
¶18. We know that everyone who has been born of God is not sinning, but he who is begotten of God keeps himself, and the Evil One does not touch him.
19. We know that we are of God and that the whole world lies in wickedness.
20. And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding so that we might know Him who is true, and in His Son Jesus Christ, we are in Him who is true. This is the true God, and eternal life.
21. Children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
 The last half of this verse is from the UBS text and is included in most translations of the New Testament.