Select a thought to read by choosing a collection, the month, and then the day:
Thought for the Morning
Under The Shadow
“He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.”
From a sermon by Pastor John.
These are some of the things that are associated with the shadow of God:
- The spirit of holiness, of zeal for God, of joy and of the knowledge of God, and of contentment is under His Shadow.
- When God issues an invitation to repent, it creates a desire within us to draw near to Him. It comes because our Father wants to draw near to us, and He will. All we have to do is respond.
- Under His shadow is where all holy and true feelings are, and holy and true wisdom, peace, and joy.
- Staying under God’s shadow is not a habit you can form. It is a choice made in every situation, every day. It is something you do because it is in your heart, because it is you. It’s who you are and where you are. It’s living, feeling, breathing, learning. It is your life. It is the way God feels. God is wise, good, and full of joy. The Psalmist said, “At his right hand are pleasures forevermore.” There is joy in God’s presence! And that means that there is pleasure and joy in His shadow.
- Jesus was on the cross but he despised that cross for the joy that awaited him. He felt that way in his soul. Because the hope of reaching the presence of God was in his soul, he despised everything this world threw at him, and remained in God’s shadow. If that is what we want, then we will also despise this world, stay in God’s shadow, and hope to the end for the joy of being in His presence.
- This place (under God’s shadow) defies description. It just has to be in your bones, in your mind, and in your heart. It’s what we must have if we are to overcome the world and see God.
- Lowly people are the people God loves and heals. We must come to Him low. True holiness is what we want from God, and it is given only to the lowly. Remember Paul’s words: “Work out your salvation with fear and trembling.” Only those who humbly remain under God’s shadow will remember God’s commandments in trying times.
- You can hear God’s “still, small voice” only when you’re under his shadow.
- You can see the approaching evil from under God’s shadow. You can say, “Here comes another angry spirit, another spirit of lust, or a spirit of greed”, but under God’s shadow, you know that such things cannot touch you. Under the shadow of God’s wing there is only righteousness, peace, and joy in the holy Ghost.
- Remember that if you stumble along the path and fall, you are still only one breath away from that shadow. You are only one sincere, humble prayer away.
- It is only the people who are laboring to enter into His rest, who are trying to live life the right way, that Jesus calls. God wants no lazy people. Jesus said, “Come unto me, all ye that labor, and I will give you rest.”
- It is the glory of a man to pass over a fault in another. But that glory actually belongs to God. He is the only source of true mercy. Let Him embrace and erase all the confusion and burdens of your heart, and then stay under His shadow. “Cast all your care on Him for he cares for you.”
- There is fellowship with the Father and the Son, and with all faithful saints, under the shadow of God. There is no strife or envy there. The blessing of one is the blessing of everyone under the shadow.
Start right now. Life can be brand new, full of peace and opportunity. And humility is the secret pathway to Jesus, the living shadow of God.